August 28, 2013
This back-to-school season, the ‘App-ologist’ for WCET – Higher Education gives us a list of teaching and learning mobile apps (all devices) for the start of the Fall Semester. Click here to read some of the ways your kid can use his or her mobile device to enrich the learning process!
What apps does your kid use for educational purposes? Let us know in the comments section!
In the wake of technology’s ever-expanding potential, the safe mobile broadband of Kajeet SmartSpot™ is reconciling a digital schism in education and bridging the gap between privileged and low-income students, an issue which this 2013 Pew Research survey of more than 2,400 middle school and high school Advanced Placement (AP) and National Writing Project (NWP) teachers confirms. Here are a few of the survey’s most eye-opening findings:
- More than half (54%) of teachers say all or almost all of their students have sufficient access to digital tools at school, but only a fifth of these teachers (18%) say all or almost all of their students have access to the digital tools they need at home.
- 39% of teachers of low-income students say their school is “behind the curve” when it comes to effectively using digital tools in the learning process; just 15% of teachers of higher income students rate their schools poorly in this area.
- 49% of teachers of students living in low income households say their school’s use of Internet filters has a “major impact” on their teaching.
- 92% of teachers say the Internet has a “major impact” on their ability to access content, resources, and materials for their teaching.
- 73% of teachers say students use their mobile phones in the classroom or to complete assignments, and 45% report they or their students use e-readers and 43% use tablet computers in the classroom or to complete assignments.
- 42% of teachers say their students usually know more than they do when it comes to using new digital technologies. Just 18% feel they know more than their students.
Responses like these affirm that there are three things every 21st century student needs: access, mobility, and filtering — all of which are encompassed by Kajeet SmartSpot™!