November 13, 2009
by Carol Politi
We just launched some great new mobile web services! This new offering provides significantly more flexibility for those that want to surf the web from their kajeet device and gives parents the ability to select the level of access they think works best for their family.
The kajeet Navigator (i.e., the browser on your phone) now has a set of free sites, a set of kid-friendly sites selected by kajeet (these cost money to access), access to social networking and IM (these cost money and are in a separately controlled category), and a category that allows you to access the web freely without controls. The new Feature Manager on kajeet.com allows parents to control the access their kids will have to various sites on the mobile web. Login to kajeet.com and select Configurator/Feature Manager to see the full set of options.
What does it cost?
The web services are charged based on use – $0.35 per 0.25 megabyte (each 0.25MB expires 24 hours after purchase). What that means is that we charge you for 0.25 MB and that this is good for a day. (Some carriers charge in MB, for comparison purposes this equates to $1.40/MB).
What on earth does 0.25 Mbyte get you and why did we take this approach? First, it gets you:
– About 10 mobile-friendly web pages
– About 2-3 full web pages (i.e., non-mobile optimized pages)
Why did we take this approach? It is nice to be able to, for a very small cost, casually browse the web – e.g., look at the weather once in a while. Many of our customers just want a bit of web access and they don’t want to buy a big bundle. (For those that are very heavy users, we will add a bundle option in the future!)
Please note: it is still free to browse our Navigator store for ringtones, games, and applications – and all kajeet users still get access to select free mobileweb sites! Access to your “MyKajeet” is also free.
We would love some input on this – so please comment here on the new features. Your comments will directly reach our product team and they will listen to you! We could specifically use help in the following areas:
1. What sites would you like to see in the “free” category. Our plan is to consistently make available at least 3 sites as part of our base service. These need to be appropriate for kids of all ages. We would appreciate customer feedback to help us decide if we have made the right choices.
2. Do you know of other kid appropriate sites that should be specifically listed and made available in our “Other Great Sites” category? This is a category of sites that again need to be appropriate for kids of all ages. This category is a bit light at the moment and we would like to make it more robust.
Please comment here to let us know what you think, and to let us know how you would like to see these features evolve. Thanks!
June 29, 2009
by Carol Politi
Most parents come to kajeet to get access to the latest in parental control features, but also want to be sure the kajeet service contains enough fun stuff to make their kids happy. In that light, kajeet phones now provide access to a limited array of mobile web sites that provide the following information & entertainment:
Kids that want to check out the latest game scores, work on their homework, learn about animals, or figure out what the weather will be for practice this afternoon are all covered!
Remember, if you do not want your child to use Surfing on their phone you can turn it off using FeatureManager as follows:
- Login to the kajeet website
- Go to Configurator and then FeatureManager
- Change “ability to use” to OFF for the Surfing feature.
Please let us know how your child enjoys the service and what else you and your child might like to see added.